Sunday, August 19, 2012

Mini-vacation

This was a Sunday I didn't have to rush out to work, so after my husband left to do barn chores, I flipped idly through the televisions channels, savoring my mini-vacation. I came across one of my favorite old movies playing on a cable channel: Cutting Edge.

This romantic film stars D.B. Sweeney and Moira Kelly. He is a hard-living, injured professional hockey player. She is a competitive figure skater, so tightly-wound and sharp-mouthed that she sabotages her aspirations for an Olympic medal by driving away skating partners. Her rich, equally driven father gives permission for her Russian coach to "shake things up" by bringing in this hockey player. He's strong but totally unfamiliar with figure skating.

I can relate to his innumerable spills to the ice at first. When I was young, I "kissed the ice" frequently until a Swiss instructor ground off the lowest tooth on my figure skates. I was never going to be a competitive skater, but my lessons were part of his income.

Let me also say here that the movie was on a channel that breaks for commercials. During these breaks, I folded laundry, scrubbed the bathroom sink and changed the bed sheets. When the movie returned, I picked up my mug of coffee with cream. It was heavenly.

Though I assured myself I could track the plot points, I soon lost myself in the romance. The lovers spar and spit, dare and double dare each other to do the near impossible--win one of two spots on the American Olympic team.

Her boyfriend, a Harvard MBA who works for her father, announces their engagement. Mr. Hockey has to skate to win, just not to win her love. Then, just before they skate onto the ice for the long program he confesses he loves her...

Next time I watch it, I WILL note when the first plot point occurred and exactly what it was. I know what happens.


4 comments:

  1. I must confess that I never look for plot points when I've watching a movie. I don't do it when I'm reading a book either. If the plot points are there, you don't notice them because they're part of a story that has grabbed your attention/emotions etc anyway! Maybe you only notice if they're NOT there, because then the story doesn't grab you in the same way! An interesting thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've noticed I'm a lot more critical of books and movies now that I'm writing. In a way, it takes away some of the pleasure, but I like being more knowledgeable about things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen this movie, but I'm going to have to check it out at some point.

    Sounds like you had a productive and relaxing day at the same time. What a treat...and yippie for multi-tasking.

    And I'm glad you enjoyed the movie without looking for plot points!

    ReplyDelete