Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Time Lapses

I struggle sometimes with time lapses, even short ones. For example, in my current WIP, the hero and heroine are both working at the same college. I don’t want all the ‘significant’ scenes and events to happen within a matter of days, but at the same time I certainly don’t want to use the ‘two weeks later’ phrase.
If one of them was going away during that two-week period, a one-sentence ‘filler’ would be sufficient, but in this story they’re likely to see each other every day. I feel I have to fill in at least something about those two weeks, but without it seeming like a filler!
Sometimes I can drop a hint about a future event e.g. an Open Day at the college or a visit to the theatre, in which case the ‘jump’ to that event is fairly easy to manage. However, if the new ‘significant event’ is going to be unexpected and I don’t want it to happen immediately, I’m not always sure how to make the jump to the event. In the end, I usually manage it okay, but it’s something I don’t find easy. So any handy hints on how to get over this particular bĂȘte-noire of mine gratefully received!

11 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Can't the "two weeks" thingy be slipped into dialogue as passing comment, the response enlightening?

    As for jump to "significant (unexpected) event" my brain has just hit freeze-frame. In what context? ;)

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  2. Example: suppose that 'two weeks later' hero (enexpectedly) invites heroine to an event somewhere (theatre, party, whatever - something I can't pre-empt with a hint beforehand). I don't want this to happen too quickly after the previous event, but at the same time I don't want to fill in the 'gap' by rambling on about ordinary day-to-day life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Francine. I'd have to read the actual content. There is a solution to every problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Think our posts may have crossed in cyberspace, Ana!
    But I agree there is a solution, it's just that I have a struggle to find it sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    Ah, see what you mean.

    Well, if he's got an invitation card/tickets for theatre, the latter could fall out of his wallet when paying for coffee etc with bankers card. He picks it up, and ponders how best to broach his intentions to the heroine. Or, a colleague picks up one or the other and queries the night out, and pushes to find out who the lucky lady is! Basically the poor blighter is on the spot, the lady in question, perhaps, close by. ;)

    best
    F

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for possible solutions, Francine. Somehow I always feel as if I'm 'filling in' when I need a time lapse like this. Maybe readers wouldn't notice, but that's because I struggle to make it realistic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will find a solution, Paula, I am confident of that. Sometiems I know it is such a struggle - big part of the story can flow - little parts cause massive problems to the writer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's exactly right, Margaret! It's really only a little part, but it's what I find tricky at times. Trying not to break up the flow with a lot of inconsequential 'filling-in' while at the same time not irritating the reader by making leaps in the time-frame!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I took a class once, that covered things like this. I agree it does fill a bit like filler, but as others said, it does depend on the context.

    I will suggest that as you get deeper into your character's pov, the words you use as filler become more unique to each character. Ex: two weeks later, some time later, as the rooster crowed, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Angela! Delighted you're still following our blog, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...I'm late coming to the "party" tonight. Great post, Paula, and great advice, everyone. I struggle with those same things.

    ReplyDelete