This morning I was shoveling a path to our propane tank. (We've had twenty inches of snow since Thursday and blizzard winds just blew in six inches more.) I turned and saw that the roof of my new high tunnel had collapsed during the night. So my promise to CSA members that they'll have vine-ripened tomatoes in early July will be difficult to keep.
I've been promising myself that I'd learn to plot. I honored that promise during the storm, thanks to my film-school-grad daughter, who has been wrestling with a concept for a TV series. (She owes $50,000 in student loans, and good-paying jobs in the movie business are hard to get.)
We wrote one-sentence action scenes on index cards--pink for the heroine, green for employers, orange for co-workers, yellow for people in her personal life. We laid them out in reasonable chronological order, balanced the colors so all facets of the story moved along at the same time, then searched for the story arc. We identified the inciting incident, plot point 1, plot point two and the ending hook. Then we rearranged and revised until we created a solid story flow for a ten-episode pilot.
Two people have read the short and long versions of our outline, and we are now bridging gaps and filling holes. She's promised to send it to her mentor/agent this Tuesday. Nothing helps like a deadline.
My promise now is to do this with one of my WIP's. Know my inciting incident and get that on page 1. Delete scenes that don't advance the story. Define my story arc so I can concentrate on writing the story, not guessing what should happen next.
If Rachel's concept is rejected, it could be turned into a novel. The character descriptions are a hoot!