Tuesday, May 10, 2016

S Is For Seven Sisters

Jennifer reviews a new book...

Seven Sisters by M. L. Bullock, was recommended to me by an online friend and I just finished reading it. I’m not quite sure which official genre it falls into—it’s part mystery, part paranormal and part romance—and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

As I’ve mentioned before, I’m fairly critical of new authors. I don’t like reading books that pull me out due to errors or poor writing. This one kept me hooked from the beginning and I read it all in one sitting—a luxury for me! It’s a serial, so this book ends on a cliffhanger (warning to anyone who dislikes that kind of ending).

The story takes place in Mobile, Alabama. The heroine is able to read people’s memories in her dreams. She is some sort of an historian and is hired to help turn an old antebellum mansion into a museum. That’s all I’m going to tell you, other than the blurb, which I’m posting below. The story is fast paced and fascinating and I’m looking forward to reading the second book in the series.

Amazon
Blurb:

"Classic Southern Ghost Storytelling At Its Finest!"
Step back in time with dream catching historian, Carrie Jo Jardine.
Carrie Jo has a secret”"she dreams about the past. The handsome and wealthy Ashland Stuart has hired her to uncover the history and the secrets of Seven Sisters, an aging antebellum mansion in sultry downtown Mobile, Alabama. A series of dreams, an untimely death and the betrayal of someone she loves lead her back in time to uncover the truth about a missing young heiress and a web of secrets.
Will Carrie Jo slip into the shadows of Seven Sisters, following in the ghostly footsteps of the lost young woman, or can she solve this tragic mystery and find her own happiness?


4 Hearts

14 comments:

  1. Sounds very interesting. I like your description of the genre blending. Blurring the lines might not be everyone's cup of lemonade, but I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intriguing is the word that springs to mind. Not the sort of book I'd read normally, but there's a possibility in this case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My TBR pile is huge and I usually forget what it is that made me want to read it in the first place, so when I picked it up, it was a complete surprise to me. But I loved it!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for reviewing Seven Sisters, Jennifer. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed it! :) Reading this made my day! All my best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds intriguing, but I do object to 'half' stories that end with a cliff hanger, unless that is made very clear in the blurb. It's too blatant an attempt to get you to buy the next book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't agree, Paula. I think serials, if done well, really work and help maintain and/or build the tension.

      Delete
    2. Only if it is clearly stated that each book follows on from the previous one, so that the readers don't feel cheated when they get to the end of one book and find they have to buy the next to find out what happens.

      Delete
    3. Knowing it's part of a series, whether or not it's marked as a "serial" I don't feel cheated at all if the cliffhanger is done well. When I read a book in a series, if I don't like it, I won't read the rest of the series. Knowing this book continues into the next one doesn't bother me--if I hadn't liked the book, I wouldn't care and just wouldn't buy the next one. Since I did like it, I have the next one on my TBR list.

      Delete
  5. I love books that are a blend of genres.

    This one definitely sounds intriguing and a good addition to my TBR pile.

    I don't mind cliffhangers if I know there's going to be a next book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds an interesting book and will put it on my list. I don't mind if its part of a series. I often read them and have enjoyed Game of Thrones, Harry Potter and The Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor, to name a few.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete