Friday, May 27, 2016

U is for Universal

Margaret talks about universal truths.


“It’s a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.”
  (The opening paragraph in Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice)

 I know this was a tongue in cheek comment by Jane Austen. She wasn’t saying Darcy was actively looking for a wife, merely suggesting that any rich and single man must be in need of one to make his life complete. She also observed that their success makes them a target for unattached, single women.

Would you say this is true today?  That not a lot has changed? Would a wealthy man need a wife?   In most of my stories (which feel real to me when I write) my heroes are certainly well off, which in turn does make them a target. But equally their wealth has made them wary of the opposite sex.  How are they to know whether these women love them for themselves or the size of their bank balance? It's a very fine line but I'd like to think it’s personality that counts every time.

 

 

8 comments:

  1. I suspect rich families are suspicious of gold diggers. But a hero should be able to hold his own against conniving women--unless they are 85 years old and still want to feel young by marrying a D-cup blonde bimbo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, todays heroes would hold their own.
      85 versus bimbo? Your comment made me smile.

      Delete
  2. Not all my heroes are wealthy but most have had some success in their chosen careers. However, I would agree that personality is far more important than money or a successful career.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely personality, Paula. And yet there are women who actively seek out older, richer men. And I guess there always will be. I know someone who did that - well, perhaps not older but richer - and their marriage has been happy and long lasting.

      Delete
  3. I'd like to think the best of people and say it's the personality that counts more than the money.

    What's nice is that in fiction we can make sure this is absolutely true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's the beauty of being able to create people to our liking.

      Delete
  4. I'd really like to think that this is not true today. However, I just read an article about how female students have found a website where they can find older, wealthy gentleman who, in return for sex, will pay for their student loans. And the website does a booming business. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete